Have you ever thought about becoming a waste warrior on behalf of your community? Now’s your chance! TerraCycle has this week launched Community Collection Hubs and is encouraging individuals, businesses, schools, offices, and community centres to sign up and become one.
Previously known as Public Drop Off Points, Community Collection Hubs are locations across the country where anyone can go to drop off their items for recycling in one of our free recycling programs. As well as diverting more waste from landfill, the environmental benefits include shipping larger collections of waste which helps reduce the carbon emissions involved in the transportation process. Additionally, the more waste sent to TerraCycle, the more collectors earn for their chosen school or charity.
Why become a Community Collection Hub?
- Help your community divert more waste from landfill. Spaces in our programs often fill up fast, so we reserve spots for Community Collection Hubs to ensure efficiency and to scale the programs as best as we can. Sometimes, a program is so popular that we can’t allow more individuals to join but we do have space if you’d like to become a Community Collection Hub and enable your entire community to collect waste in the program!
- Reduce the carbon footprint of our programs by ensuring larger and less frequent shipments are sent to us through the post.
- Fundraise for the school or non-profit organisation of your choice. It’s your Community Collection Hub so you get to decide who you want your TerraCycle points to go to!
- Receive resources and support from TerraCycle including posters, social media icons, how-to guides, and quarterly newsletters full of tips and tricks. There’s never been a better time to take us up on the challenge.
- Be the first to hear about new programs before they’ve even launched as well as other VIP benefits!
Convinced? Here’s how to become one:
Step One: Sign up to a TerraCycle account (if you haven’t already done so)
Step Two: Sign up to the program you wish to collect for. For the full list of Australian programs click here, for New Zealand, click here.
Step Three: Fill out this form to apply to become a Community Collection Hub. For NZ, please fill out this form.
Step Four: Set up your hub! Make sure it’s easily accessible by the public and clearly signposted. If you’re collecting for more than one program, please make sure you have clearly labelled the different collection boxes/receptacles. To encourage you to reuse what you already have, we won’t physically give you anything to get started, but you can download and print lots of resources from the Community Collection Hub page on our website.
If, at any time, you require any assistance with setting up your hub, please feel free to email our customer support team or call our hotline.
Phone: 1800 983 324
New Zealand: email@example.com
Phone: 0800 474 016
Do you know a business or organisation that would make a great Community Collection Hub? Nominate them in the comments below!